Thursday, April 30, 2009

Canard Wins Salt Lake Supercross

The 2009 AMA Supercross Series is winding down, and the GEICO Powersports/AMSOIL/Honda team headed into Salt Lake City not knowing what the dirt would be like, or what the weather had in store. In the end, despite having second practice canceled during the day because of rain, the track ended up really good for the night’s racing.

In the Lites class, 2008 East champ Trey Canard had a perfect night. He took a great start in his heat race, holding on for the win. In the main, he started sixth and began working on the five bikes in front of him. Eventually, Canard chased down eventual champion Ryan Dungey and passed him for the lead, then fought off series runner-up Jake Weimer to take his first win of the season.

“I was a little timid around Dungey because I didn’t want to mess him up,” Canard said. “I just tried to keep my head down and push through. I ran into a couple lappers near the end that hurt me, but the last lap was definitely a barn burner. I was happy to get the win, though.”



In the 450cc class, Kevin Windham was having a good day. In the main event, though, he was moving forward when he encountered a mechanical issue. K-Dub still hung on for a strong seventh-place finish.

“It’s not bad, but nine times out of ten in this industry, if you finish seventh, most people don’t even know why because the coverage back there isn’t really good, and there’s such a great race up front,” Windham said. “But at this point, with where I’m at in the series, it’s just frustrating. I’ve just got to keep plugging away until I’m where I think we can be.”

From here, the AMSOIL sponsored team heads to Las Vegas for the final round of the AMA Supercross Series, and the Lites East/West Shootout on May 2 inside Sam Boyd Stadium. There will be five riders underneath the team's awning, with Windham, Canard, Dan Reardon, Blake Wharton and Daniel Blair all taking part in the event.

Until then, we'll see you at the races.