Thursday, March 26, 2009

AMSOIL Championship Snocross Series Crowns Champions

After coming up just one point shy of winning the year-end title a year ago, TJ Gulla (Polaris) not about to let history repeat itself. Gulla, who came into the Pro Open final Sunday afternoon in Lake Genava, with a 15-point lead over teammate Brett Bender. One day earlier, Gulla’s teammate Levi LaVallee had brought home his first championship in Pro Super Stock. Now it was Gulla’s turn to do the same on what would be the final race of the year in the AMSOIL Championship Snocross Series.

Gulla entered the AMSOIL Pro Open final needing to finish 13th or better to win his second career championship. With Bender taking the win, Gulla took the final podium spot in third, wrapping up the title. Arctic Cat's Garth Kaufman finished second.

“I knew exactly where I had to finish,” said Gulla as he celebrated his year-end title. “The year started out a little shaky but we stuck with it and got stronger near the end of the season. After losing the championship last year by one point I really didn’t care if I won it this year by one point or twenty.”

In the Pro Super Stock class, the battle went down to the wire on Saturday. Heading into the weekend, LeValle was tied with Kaufman. With both riders winning their heat races, it was a winner take all final. Kaufman charged back to put pressure on LeValle, but the Polaris rider charged out front for the win and the championship.

“I’m so happy right now, I don’t know what to say,” said Levi from atop the box. “I can’t begin to thank everyone involved with our team. For the past three years it seems all I did was get hurt or fall on my head. I just want to thank everyone for sticking with me.”

The battles were also tight in the Semi-Pro classes. In Semi-Pro Super Stock, Arctic Cat's Corey Davis captured the championship by finishing second in Sunday's final.

“Coming into the final I knew where I was at in the point chase,” said Davis after the race. “I was thinking about the championship the entire time I was out there. I was so nervous and Christian (Salemark) was so fast, I just wanted to stay clean.”

In Saturday's Semi-Pro Open class, Tim Trembley need a strong ride and some luck to hold on to the title. With both Dan Ebert and Bobby LePage in the mix, the math was complicated, but Trembley figured out the solution. While Ebert took the win, LePage bobbled and finished seventh. Even with Ebert's win, it wasn't enough to get the class championship and Trembley's ninth place finish gave him the title by two points.

While there is a lot of summer between now and the start of the 2009-2010 AMSOIL Championship Snocross Series in Duluth, Minn., you can stay on top of all the latest news, rumors and changes in store for next winter at http://www.isocracing.com/.

Until then, we'll see you at the races.